Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

The First One! Some Thoughts From Home Evening

Well, I'm finally starting my blog, month's after I initially planned to, but, better now than tomorrow right? 

So, for my first post, I want to briefly discuss what my wife and I talked about for our little Family Home Evening tonight.

President Thomas S. Monson spoke this past General Conference in the Priesthood session about home teaching. I was touched by a quote from David O. McKay that he shared, "Home teaching is one of our most urgent and most rewarding opportunities to nurture and inspire, to counsel and direct our Father’s children. … [It] is a divine service, a divine call. It is our duty as Home Teachers to carry the … spirit into every home and heart. To love the work and do our best will bring unbounded peace, joy and satisfaction to [a noble,] dedicated [teacher] of God’s children."-- Priesthood Home Teaching Handbook, rev. ed. (1967), ii, iii

The fact that he said "most urgent" got me thinking and has motivated me to make a new resolution to put serving others above serving myself. Not that I am a self serving person, but it's time that I reorder my priorities and make sure that I put the needs of others and the emulating of the Savior first. Christ would be out helping others and blessing their lives, especially when He has been asked to do so. I have been asked to visit with and bring the Spirit into the homes of those who I home teach. 

I will do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no name calling, no profanities and no demonizing of people that disagree with you or have a different viewpoint. I am moderating these posts to guard against these things, so please, flame responsibly :-)